I was hired to design a report for the University of Utrecht, more specifically their new curriculum and research plan for their AI lab. This was a 4 month project and next to the report, I've also designed a presentation template in the same style as well as a printed booklet. For this project I collaborated together with one of the content writers Nadia Piet. She was my person of contact within the AI research group. The client had basically an open brief for me. They provided me with a google docs and requested an inspiring design that will capture the attention of different stakeholders. Thus, it was my role to provide them with a direction for the design. I started by created a mood board and providing them with 4 directions I think are suitable for their report document.
The client had basically an open brief for me. They provided me with a google docs and requested an inspiring design that will capture the attention of different stakeholders. Thus, it was my role to provide them with a direction for the design. I started by created a mood board and providing them with 4 directions I think are suitable for their report document. My client was most interested in direction 1, which I also suggested that fits the report best.
Direction 1 - Flat illustration
Direction 2 - Characters
Direction 3 - Primary Shapes
Direction 4 - Gradient Illustrations
My intention with the color selection was to stay coherent with the colors of the university as well as the colors of the other two main partners. For this I suggested several options that live in the realm of the research's lab brand. I gave me client several suggestions for fonts, since this is a big report, it is important to have both San Serif and Serif fonts. For the sans fonts I suggested mostly “Open sans” because its a google developed font, it gives a professional feel, as well as a bit of techy feel. For the San Serifs, I gave a variation that goes from simple and safe fonts, from Roboto and Raleway, to more extreme and striking one like Abril Fat Face and Castoro. This way I provided a good scale that my client could choose from. After I had established an illustration style, colors and fonts, I decided to present the client with several templates in order for us to choose a report style. I used several Indesign templates, in order for our client to pick a style they like. Afterwards this template will be rebranded in the developed style. With my template choices I’m also trying to narrow down the style preferred by the client. I presented them with a serious & professional style, then less serious, but still professional, and finally the more playful style. In the end the client picked a combination between the second and third style.
In the initial design stages I collaborated together with Nadia in order to create the designs for some of the central illustrations of the report. After the client signed off on some design directions I proposed this how the final results came to be. During the making of the final designs I was presented the process of the project regularly to the client to get his feedback and implement any changes.